Top tips on storage boxes
If you’re getting ready to pack up your possessions for storage, you’ll probably already have scoured your house for old boxes that you can use to pack things into. When it comes to storage, the decision to use new boxes versus used ones is often a matter of personal preference. However, there are several reasons why using new storage boxes may be the better option. So, if we told you that – if you can spare a few dollars – new boxes are a much better bet than old boxes when it comes to secure packing and storage.
Why use new boxes to pack?
There are lots of reasons why new boxes are better than old ones when it comes to packing up your most valuable and loved possessions. Firstly, new boxes are clean and free from any damage or wear and tear, which ensures that your belongings remain in good condition. Used boxes, on the other hand, may have already been subjected to wear and tear, making them weaker and less reliable. Here are our top reasons to use new boxes:
- Strength: New boxes are sturdier and stronger than older boxes, which could easily give way from underneath if you pack them with anything heavier than old soft toys. Using new boxes reduces the risk that your boxes will break and cause damage to your items.
- Storage: Have you ever noticed that older boxes tend to cave in at the sides or on the top? Even if you’re packing lighter items, you’ll find that older boxes are harder to stack because they don’t hold their shape.
- Uniformity: When it’s time to move your stuff into storage, having lots of boxes the same size and shape will make it much easier to maximise your use of space and fill in all the gaps in your storage unit.
- Hygiene: New boxes are clean, and because they’re in good shape they’re much easier to seal off. This will keep your items free of dust and debris for as long as you need them to.
- Clarity: Older boxes are often already marked or labelled from previous moves, but when you buy new boxes you can write clear labels on each box so that there’s no ambiguity over the contents.
New boxes are designed to be sturdy and durable, which means they can withstand the weight of heavy items without collapsing or breaking. In contrast, used boxes may have already reached their maximum load capacity, which can put your belongings at risk.
Also, new boxes come in a range of sizes and shapes, which allows you to select the ones that best suit your needs. Used ones, however, are often a mixed assortment of sizes and shapes, which can make it difficult to pack and stack them efficiently.
Buying affordable boxes from our Box Shop ensures that your possessions are safely packed and secure for the long haul, no matter how long you end up leaving them in storage for.
Lastly, using new boxes also helps to support the environment by reducing waste. When you buy new boxes, you are investing in a sustainable option that can be recycled and reused for future storage needs. While using used ones may seem like a cost-effective option, the benefits of using new boxes outweigh the cost. The benefits are far greater; durability, reliability, and customization options, ensure that your belongings remain safe and secure during storage.
Buy storage boxes and book your unit today
At Big Box Self Storage, we offer end-to-end storage solutions including competitively priced boxes and packing materials in conjunction with our self-storage units and containers. Purchase brand-new, extra-strong cardboard boxes from our Gold Coast shop and start packing up your possessions for storage today.
We offer free box delivery locally and work with all of our clients to ensure that their possessions are stored safely and securely for as long as they require. Get in touch with us to book a unit today.